Skip to main content

My journey of depression and recovery (7 things to remember everyday)

 

Each day I awoke, the first thoughts in my mind were of the troubles that afflicted me and the problems that followed me. Each day I re-lived them. Each day I re-experienced what had hurt me and who had left me.  I refused to escape them. I refused to stop hurting, because to do so meant to actually move on, and I didn’t want to move on. I didn’t want to let go.

I had received what I believed. And what I believed was that I was worth nothing; that no one would like me and no one could love me; that I’d forever and always be alone.

I knew I needed help but asking for it just made me feel like a burden. I wanted to be free of meds, doctors, counsellors, hospitals and negative thoughts. I felt as if I had lost myself and wouldn’t ever be the same again. I had no motivation to do anything because I couldn't see a future for myself. Anxiety caused me to believe everyone was faking their love for me. ‘Cheer up’ was the worst thing anyone said to me. Those two words triggered thousands of horrible thoughts and I was beating myself up for not hiding how I felt well enough from everyone around me.

When we are depressed we are cut off from reality, trapped within the tiny world of our own withdrawn ego. If reality were an unpleasant place and we withdrew into our own ideal dream world, that might make sense. But reality is a beautiful place and when we are depressed we retreat from it into a place which is truly horrible. Why?

What keeps us cut off from healing reality is that we keep thinking about ourselves. There is a simple trick we might try to short-circuit this process. If we fear that we may be a worthless individual, then we might ask ourselves: “How bad would it be if that were the case?” What would it mean if we had no worth? Nothing could be expected of us. The world would not cease to exist. We would still be capable of experiencing pleasure. To be worthless would simply be to be insignificant or unimportant. (Of course this isn’t the same as being bad, but it is still worth a try.)

Read more: World's oldest verified living woman reveals her secret to longevity in 2024

Always Remember:

1- Your emotions are not fixed; they are constantly changing. How you feel today may not be the same as how you felt yesterday or how you’ll feel tomorrow or next week.

2- Everyone makes mistakes in life, but it doesn't mean they have to pay for them for the rest of their life. Sometimes good people make bad choices. It doesn't mean they are bad. It means they are human. Believe me, there is no greater pain than that of regret. It is never too late to live in the way you want. Never be afraid to take a risk in your life.

3- The new beginning that lives in every second, where you can take a turn you have never taken before, remove the mask and play a role you have never played. Let that sense of excitement pull you to new things. Let go of what you can't change and pursue what you can. Always remember that you can't go back and change the past, so look to the future and don't make the same mistake twice. Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past and start planning the future. Forget the time spent, think of now.

4- Remember your personal goals. You may have always wanted to travel to a particular place, read a specific book, own a pet, move to another place, learn a new hobby, volunteer, go back to school, or start a family. Write your personal goals down.

5- You shouldn't feel guilty for feeling the way you do because depression is an illness like any other, it isn’t any more self centred than having a broken leg. I was always told to show myself the same respect and concern that I would show for others. We are so accepting of other parts of our bodies breaking, why can't we be that way about our minds too?

6- Take a step back and look at your life closely and ask yourself "What can you improve?" Be honest with yourself in every area of your life. Remove everything unimportant in your life that can get you sidetracked from your goals. It might be TV, it might be people in your life, it might be unhealthy habits you know what it is. Be honest with yourself. Have the courage to live the life you want to live regardless of what anyone else thinks. Nothing will change unless you change. Nothing will get better unless you get better. It's all about you.

7- No matter what has happened or failed to happen in your past. It's never too late to try again. It's never too late to decide you want more out of life. Never be afraid to take a risk going after what you really want. You may fail, you will most likely fail often but failure going after your dreams is nothing compared to the failure that is settling for a life you don't want.

Read more: 6 reasons to try the Mediterranean diet and easy tips for starting it

If you have not seen a doctor or mental health professional before, it is a good idea to do so. They will listen to you in private, and ask some questions about you and your situation. This is so they can help you and, together, you can develop a plan of action.

Designed by Open Themes & Nahuatl.mx.